Words of Wisdom:

"Poor the student who cannot surpass his teacher." - Zerosampson

The Biological Importance of Polysaccharides

  1. Biological Importance Of Lipids
    The Biological Importance of Lipids Lipids are organic compounds found in all types of plant and animal cells. They always contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen...
  2. Biological Importance Of Water
    can be fatal if the brain is starved of oxygen. This provides another reason for the biological importance of water. In reproduction water also provides a means...
  3. Biological Importance Of Water
    are skeletal support. All of these properties show that water has great biological importance and is fundamentally vital for any living organisms to survive...
Date Submitted:
03/05/2012 10:42 AM
Flesch-Kincaid Score:
49.6 
Words:
641
Essay Grade:
no grades
Flag
Join Now!

Already a Member? Login Now

During this essay I will look look at the biological importance of polysaccharides and what makes them so important for us, by looking into the structure the bonding types and chemical properties of polysaccharides.
Polysaccharides are repeating units of carbohydrates or chains of monosaccharides joint together by various glycosidic bonds . These covalent bonds form after condensation reaction takes place as the monosccharides bond. These chains can be branched or unbranched.
These long chains are insoluble, and have the general formula of   Cn(H2O)n-1 .

We divide polysaccharides into two group : Storage polysaccharides and Structural polysaccharides.
Starch is an storage polysaccharides made up of alpha glucose molecules. These alpha glucose molecules are made up of two components : Amylose and Amylopectin. Amylose is about 300 glucose molecules joint together by an alpha 1-4 glycosidic bond, but the CH2OH would not fit if the chain would be in a straight line , they are too bulky. Therefore the molecule curves bending it into a very compact helical shape. And when the molecule takes it's shape , hydrogen bonds   keeps the molecule stable. Amylose makes up around 15-20% of starch , the other 85-80% are amylopectin.
Amylopectin is a branched chain of alpha glucoses joint with the 1-6 glycosidic bond.
This branching bond occurs every 25-30 glucose units.

These branches give a lot of end points making it easy for enzymes to attach on and quickly degenerate the molecule. In contrast amylose contains very few alpha 1-6 bonds, which means that   hydrolysation is slower,   but the molecule has higher density and be insoluble. Starch is the main carbohydrate food store in plants. And the plant stores excess glucose as starch because it is compact so one molecule of starch is equal to many molecules of glucose, this also lowers the osmotic gradient in the cell. As glucose it could leave the cell and starch is not very reactive however it can easily be...
Join Now to View the Full Essay

Comments

Express your owns thoughts and ideas on this essay by writing a grade and/or critique.

  1. No comments