- Date Submitted:
- 07/16/2012 07:21 PM
- Flesch-Kincaid Score:
- Essay Grade:
Popular foods of each states in India
India is federal union of 28 states and 7 territories. Food of each state is influenced by the neighboring state, the geography, climate, and the culture.
I have grouped the 28 states into 5 major regions: North, Mid-India, South, Northeast, and East. I have created Mid-India by combining Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, and Maharashtra
In addition, I have created two additional regions: Delhi, and 'Indian restaurants in UK'. Delhi has its own Muslim and Punjabi foods. The Indian restaurants in UK have their own brand of Indian British curries originated in UK.
It was a challenge to create this list. Every state has a large selection of foods, how to limit the selection. How to credit a state for a given food that originated in another state. Some selections were easy, the red-ant chutney was made famous by chef Ramsey. Many readers will not agree with the selections, but it is just one set of selections.
- Jammu Kashmir: Rogan Josh, Tabak Maaz, Gustaba, Dum Aloo, Haak Saag, Yakhni, Kahava (Green tea Latte)
- Punjab: Makki-Roti and Sarson-Saag, Rajma and Chawal, Cholay and Bhature, Amritsar Machhli, Makhani Dal, Kulcha, Sooji Halwa (Parsad), Lassi (whipped yogurt)
- Haryana: Kachri Subzi, Cholia, Chach (Matha, natural skimmed buttermilk), Bajra Khichri
- Rajasthan: Dal-Baati-Choorma, Ker-Sangari, Lal-Maas, Gatta, Piyaz Kachori, Ghewar, Kalakand. Bhang available at state stores. You might be able to find Ganja and even Afeem
- Himachal Pradesh: Sidu, Aktori and Dham, Apples
- Uttarkhand: Aloo Gutke, Kaapa, Jhangora kheer, Chainsoo
- Uttar Pradesh: Shami Kebab, Awadh Biryani, Aloo Kachori, Moong Dal Halwa, Benaras Chaat, Jalebi and Dahi breakfast
- Madhya Pradesh: Lapsi, Bafla, Bhutte Kheer, Bhopali Kebab
Chhattisgarh (Eastern part of Madhya Pradesh) is known for Bafauri, Kusli, and Red ant chutney made famous by chef Gordon Ramsey
- Gujarat: Thepla, Dhokla, Khandvi,...