Words of Wisdom:

"Wow, this new Essay Depot rules!! Join as a member and add a quote" - Tester55

Persusative

  • Date Submitted: 05/05/2016 10:02 AM
  • Flesch-Kincaid Score: 57.5 
  • Words: 371
  • Essay Grade: no grades
  • Report this Essay
The Trinidad Government Railway existed between 1876 and 28 December 1968. Originally built to connect Port of Spain with Amira, the railway was extended to Couva in 1880, San Fernando in 1882, Cunapo (now Sangre Grande) in 1897, Tabaquite in 1898, Siparia in 1913 and Rio Claro in 1914.

In the 1800s it was the great merchants and plantation owners of Trinidad who supplied the impetus for development when there was inaction from the colonial administration. So it was with the coming of the railways.
The first line from Princes Town to San Fernando was little more than a tramway; the track was laid in 1859. Waggons were drawn along by horses and mules and carried agricultural produce to the coast. Then by popular demand the service was extended to carry passengers and mail. It became known as 'the Cipero Tramroad' after the river it crossed; the fare was 36 cents.

The idea of a railway proper had been around since 1846 when the Trinidad Railway Company was formed. Routes were surveyed, yet it proved impossible to raise the finance until the Cipero Tramroad had shown the way.

In 1873 construction began and on 31st August 1876 a line linking Port of Spain with Arima opened. A mini railway mania hit the country as people of influence clamoured to have a branch put through to their own town or estates. In 1882 San Fernando was reached; in 1897 the network had been expanded to take in Sangre Grande, Tabaquite, Siparia and Rio Claro.

The service ran successfully for decades then after independence, the government started to have misgivings about it and the lines were gradually closed down. The final run to San Fernando from Port of Spain was a memorable event; people struggled to get a place on board, Calypsonians sang of the railway's demise. The final track was pulled up in 1968; in some places roads were laid along the old routes.

Little remains today; Engine 11 stands in San Fernando's Harris Promenade, whilst its sister locomotive occupies a...

Comments

Express your owns thoughts and ideas on this essay by writing a grade and/or critique.

  1. No comments