Words of Wisdom:

"Only dead fish swim the stream" stephen graham " - Whytee

New Brunswik

  • Date Submitted: 05/30/2011 08:11 PM
  • Flesch-Kincaid Score: 55.3 
  • Words: 669
  • Essay Grade: no grades
  • Report this Essay
Saint John is the largest city in New Brunswick, Canada. Located at the mouth of the Saint John River,on the Bay of Fundy.
  Saint John Harbour was first entered probably in 1524 by Gomez (A Spaniard) and named Rio De La Buelta. Earlier still Basque, Breton and Norman Fisherman are to believed to have made voyages to the Bay of Fundy in the early 1500s.
  History records that the French explorers Sieur de Monts and Samuel De Champlain, arrived at the mouth of what is now the St. John River on June 24, 1604, feast day of St. John the Baptist and named the River in the Saint's honour.
  Portland Point, near where H.M.C.S. Brunswicker is located, is an important historic landmark on the east side of Saint John Harbour. It was here that the first permanent french settlement in that part of Acadia now known as New Brunswick was made.
  Fortified by Charles La Tour, who was made Lieutenant Governor in 1631 to 1635 and engaged in trade with the natives.
    It was occupied in 1758 by the British and renamed Fort Frederick. The latter was destroyed by American revolutionaries in 1775 but was replaced by Fort Howe (1777-1778), whose block house has since been reconstructed. The settlement began to develope in 1783, when the United Empire Loyalists established Parr Town and Carleton around the harbour. In 1785 the two communities amalgamated as Saint John (after the river) to become Canada's first incorporated city.
  Benedict Arnold, the American revolutionary traitor, lived here in 1787 to 1791. During the War of 1812, Martello Tower was built on Lancaster Heights for harbour defense; it is now a national historic site.
  A year round ice-free harbour fostered shipping, shipbuilding ( the famous Ship Marco Polo to name one ), and fishing; but economic growth was checked by a disastrous fire of 1877 and a declining lumber trade. Saint John recovered, absorbed the city of Portland in 1889 the city and parish of Lancaster and part of Simonds parish in 1966, and...

Comments

Express your owns thoughts and ideas on this essay by writing a grade and/or critique.

  1. No comments