Words of Wisdom:

"OPINIONS ARE LIKE ONIONS, AND THEY CAN BE PLANTED ANY WHERE; NEVER BE AFRAID TO SPEAK YOUR MIND" - Ommondoitfloin

Breast Cancer in African American Women

  • Date Submitted: 10/22/2012 03:00 PM
  • Flesch-Kincaid Score: 51.7 
  • Words: 1442
  • Essay Grade: no grades
  • Report this Essay
Breast Cancer in African American Women

HCA 430: Special Population
Jennine Kinsey

Daisha Smith
October 8, 2012

“Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the U.S. only exceed by heart disease and the number one killer of persons before the age of 75” (Turnock, B., 2007, p.28). Vulnerable populations can range from homeless, alcohol and substance abuses, or chronically or mentally ill and disabled that has a number of health-related issues. Cancer is a disease that most people do not think is a vulnerable population. Due to their lack of resources and access to health care, they are considered at high risk for poor lifestyle choices or behaviors that can lead to the development of cancer. Research shows there is only about 5% of cancer is an inherited gene. The other 95% are developed by genetically damaged genes through either internal metabolic and hormonal issues or external factors like smoking substance abuse or “excessive exposure to sunlight” (American Cancer Society, 2012).
According to the American Cancer Society (2012), this year approximately 1,638,910 US citizens has cancer and 48,130 from Georgia with cancer and 15, 790 from Georgia that has died from cancer. In the nation prostate cancer is the first to be diagnosed with cancer with 241,740 cases per year; followed by breast cancer 226,870, lung cancer 226,160, and colorectal 143,430 cancers (American Cancer Society, 2012). For women, “heart disease is the main cause of death and breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women in the United States and one in four American women will develop breast cancer in the course of a lifetime” (CDC, 2012).
Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second-most fatal cancer among black women. More so, the reason being is low economic and educational status, lack of resources for health care and a poor lifestyle choice can increase the risk for cancer in the community. The goal for cancer is to organize...

Comments

Express your owns thoughts and ideas on this essay by writing a grade and/or critique.

  1. No comments